1960s – early early 1990s: the geometric era
1990s: appearance-based models
- Requires Requires global registration of patterns global registration of patterns
- Not robust to clutter, occlusion, geometric transformations
mid-1990s – present: sliding window approaches
Late 1990s: local features
Large-scale image search
- Combining local local features, indexing, and spatial constraints.
- Philbin et al. ‘07
Early 2000s: parts-and shape models
– Object as a set of parts
– Relative locations between parts
– Appearance of part
Mid-2000s: bags of features
Objects Objects as texture
- All of these are treated as being the same
- No distinction between foreground and background: scene recognition?
Present trends: combination of local and global methods, data-driven methods, context
Global scene descriptors
- The “gist” of of a scene: Oliva & Torralba (2001)
- J. Tighe and S. Lazebnik, ECCV 2010
- J. Hays and A. Efros, Scene Completion using Millions of Photographs, SIGGRAPH 2007
- D Hoiem A Efros and M Herbert . Putting Putting Objects in Objects in Perspective. CVPR 2006.
- Discriminatively trained part-based models